Dubrovnik, Croatia


We took the ferry from Korcula to Dubrovnik -- what a treat, the whole Dalmatian coastline is incredibly beautiful. After coming from Hvar and Korcula islands I was not prepared for how huge the harbor at Dubrovnik was. There were 3 enormous cruise ships in the harbor. I felt a twinge of disappointment but we had gotten used to relaxing island living and I wasn't so keen to see a major city. But we were pleasantly surprised at how amazing the Old Walled City is - so well preserved, gorgeous, and I felt transported to medieval times.

A few things that stand out to me about Croatia (and Dalmatia specifically)-- it that it's better preserved and much cleaner than Italy, the food and scenery are exquisite, the people are extremely hospitable and very used to tourism, the climate is wonderful on the islands but already very hot in early June on the mainland. Also, did I mention the steps? Croatia is extremely hilly. There are an enormous amount of steps to climb each and every day. The locals are not fazed by this at all, but it takes some getting used to. My mom would not have made it here. That said, after 10 days, I am getting the hang of it. In pretty much every city we have been to we've had to climb about 4 flights of stairs to reach our apartment (that's before we even get to our building), and then we stay in a narrow, 3-story flat. I have lost around 6-7 pounds as of today, so there is an upside!

Photo album
Cable Car / Zicara (video)
City Walls (video)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can COVID save a marriage?

MX: Days 6, 7, and 8 - Malinalco & the Temezcal

MX: Day 2 Visit to the Zocalo