First Impressions: Reflections on the Cohort's Early Days


The first person who stood out to me way back at the 2011 group interview was Karina. She looked beautiful, in a perfect suit -- so professional and ready to rock the interview. We shared the briefest of smiles, and I felt more comfortable that I hadn't totally overdressed for the interview (I was in a suit, too).

Alicia and Yana were next, they sat with me in the circle in Room 240, which would become our home for two incredible years. After hearing a little bit about their backgrounds I was so in awe of the cultural diversity of the program. A Russian, Panamanian and Indian - representing three continents -- sitting together and finding an immediate rapport.

Bagmi was the first person to make me cry, in the interview breakout session with Gerald. She spoke openly  about her lived experience and I thought to myself, this shit just got real. I was so impressed with her courage and determination and felt compelled to share something deeply personal about myself, too, instead of a rehearsed response.

In Murilo I found common ground as he talked about his interracial relationship and it struck a chord in me to think of my own relationship -- two cultures colliding and meshing perfectly. He had a calm demeanor that I would grow to love.

Eva made me sit up and take notice in the final check-out of the group interview. She was confident and articulate with a clear vision of what she wanted to do in counseling to help couples.

Laura was one of the first people I connected with on Blackboard. I respected her words and felt a synergy that I wanted to explore further. I liked that she questioned authority from time to time, it kept the professors on their toes.

Also on Blackboard I met Wes and Everett, who taught me about different perspectives that would stretch my thinking about accepted discourses in those very early days. Later I would enjoy watching them evolve into the caring men they are today, ready to break down stereotypes and work for change in their respective communities.

At Gordon Biersch we had our first cohort happy hour, though only a handful of us attended. In Libni I  found a young man so earnest and grounded, with an incredible smile and warm hug. I could tell he was a nurturer and a social organizer/activist right from the start.

Upon meeting Rachel the first day of class, I was wowed by her incredible sacrifice to her man. I couldn't imagine being in her shoes and starting a master's program in the middle of recovery.

In Michelle and Bridget, I found two women with deeply felt experiences who would turn their pain into a positive force for change. I was touched by their honesty and resiliency, and their ability to give so freely of themselves to care for the cohort.

Deborah brought a rawness and take-no-shit NY attitude that I was drawn to from the earliest days; a  smart and confident feminist whom I could connect with idealogically, though our approaches were  different.

In Lodovica I met a fellow linguist. Someone I've experienced to be so balanced in her words and actions with others. The way she picked apart the nuances in words and meanings was incredible. She was both highly analytical and yet very emotive and expressive.

Jasmine intrigued me in those early days - she was brash and outspoken at times, and reflective and quiet in others. I was appreciative that she could give voice to a different perspective on the issues at hand.

In Hector I found a gentle soul who didn't take things for granted. He had a quiet strength and a surprising flair for one-liners. When he spoke, we listened.

Ingrid had a great capacity for love and was genuinely warm and inviting. She also had a political streak and could speak her mind like nobody's business (en cualquier idioma)

I was extremely moved by Eric's first revelations and his questioning of male discourses. His steady  presence and unexpected wit added a different dimension to the group.

In Haylee I found a free spirt with a depth and strength that I didn't expect. I connected to her story, and all that she had overcome and relished getting to know her a little more each week.

Misa struck me as someone who didn't take things too seriously, the jokester. So I was surprised and moved to hear of his passion and commitment to his faith and his family.

In Bob I found an edge and a softness, someone navigating what I thought of as two very different worlds: the person her family and culture expected and the woman she wanted to present to the world.

Jamila was an enigma, I couldn't pinpoint her ethnicity and she had wisdom beyond her years. She also had a smile that could light up the room. I was so impressed by her courage and her drive to be a success against all odds.

To my classmates, I have been touched and inspired by you. Thanks for being a part of this journey!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can COVID save a marriage?

MX: Days 6, 7, and 8 - Malinalco & the Temezcal

MX: Day 2 Visit to the Zocalo