Guanajuato, Mexico

I just returned from a two-week trip to central Mexico. It's amazing that I have lived in San Diego for nearly twenty years, 30 minutes from the US/Mexico border and this is the first time I have ventured further south than a few hundred miles into Baja.

My friends, Kevin and Mary, are well-seasoned travelers that have been visiting different parts of Mexico for the past 2 decades. They had a trip planned already and finding myself with a little free time on my hands, I convinced them to let me tag along for the ride.

My image of Mexico has been largely influenced by the border cities of Tijuana, Ensenada, Mexicali and San Felipe. I did go on a 7-day Mexican Riviera cruise a few years ago and saw snippets of Acapulco, Puerta Vallarta and Cabo San Lucas -- but these are all American tourist destinations and how much can you really see on a cruise when you have only a few hours to explore at each port?

So this was my first REAL foray into Mexico. I was amazed by the colorful, colonial architecture, the rich and vibrant city center, the hospitable people and the natural beauty of the valley of Guanajuato.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I knew very little about Mexican history prior to the trip and learned much about the indigenous peoples and more recently the struggle to gain independence from Spain. Guanajuato, which was an important silver mining town, is a World Heritage site. It reminded me of the colonial city center of Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, where I lived as a teenager. The two cities were both "discovered" by the Spanish at around the same time and they exude the same colonial charm -- cobblestone streets, narrow alleyways, colorful architecture -- although Guanajuato is far better maintained and cleaner.

The Spanish influence is clearly felt in Guanajuato, but it's tempered and interlaced with indigenous cultures which are evident in the local art, food, festivals (Cave Day which is celebrated on 7/31), and on the faces of its residents.

Travelling in Guanajuato was very safe and convenient. There are reliable taxis and buses and much of the city center is closed to foot traffic only. Many of my stateside friends cautioned me about traveling in Mexico (especially with my young daughter), but I found it to be much safer than going to a big city in the US or Europe for that matter, where I usually feel the need to be very vigilant at night and in crowded tourist areas.

The only real downside to my trip was losing my camera on Day 12, and thereby losing hundreds of wonderful photos. I don't really even feel so bad about the camera itself, but the photos cannot be replaced. The camera was not stolen, but lost in the shuffle of a crowded taxi.

This short trip to Guanajuato has made me all the more interested in exploring other regions of Mexico, seeing the magnificent legacy left behind by the Aztecs and Mayans, and also learning more about the rich cultural heritage of our neighbor to the south.


This year Mexico celebrates 200 years of independence so it's a good year to visit and join the festivities. Anyone interested in travelling to Guanajuato should check out this guide book by my friend and traveling buddy, Kevin Delgado. The 2nd edition which will feature extensive color photography is due out next spring. San Miguel Allende and Guanajuato, Mexico.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can COVID save a marriage?

MX: Days 6, 7, and 8 - Malinalco & the Temezcal

MX: Day 2 Visit to the Zocalo